Join us in congratulating Roxy Sprowl for being a 2023 Udall Scholarship Recipient!

Roxy is one of only 55 students nationwide to receive this prestigious honor. A 20-member independent review committee selected this year’s group of Udall Scholars on the basis of commitment to careers in the environment, Tribal public policy, or Native health care; leadership potential; record of public service; and academic achievement. Roxy is a tribal public policy scholar. Her class of Udall Scholars was selected from 384 candidates nominated by 172 colleges and universities. Thirty-seven Scholars intend to pursue careers related to the environment, nine Native American/Alaska Native Scholars intend to pursue careers related to Tribal public policy, and nine Native American/Alaska Native Scholars intend to pursue careers related to Native health care. Roxy is a tribal public policy scholar. You can read more about the program and scholars here and here.

Roxy shared some of their experience with us: “I am so honored to be named a 2023 National Udall Scholar. I learned so much from the 2023 Udall Orientation and it definitely helped make it clear what my goals in life are. The best part was meeting absolutely wonderful people — I hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time! I will cherish the memories, the laughter shared, the stories, and the wonderful friendships I’ve made forever. It was truly inspiring being around so many passionate individuals. It has reignited a flame in me to continue to grow in my leadership and advocacy for Indigenous youth and to also continue learning my language. I am so proud to be an Ojibwekwe.”

Roxy Sprowl (Bezhigonoodinkwe) is a proud citizen of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians. She is a senior at MSU studying social work, Indigenous studies, and race and ethnicity in the United States. Roxy serves several leadership roles inside her campus community, including leading a research lab regarding racial and ethnic representation in U.S. history textbooks and leading the North American Indigenous Student Organization (NAISO). Outside of campus, Roxy serves as a board member on the Michigan Indian Education Council and is a Fellow for the Building Communities of Hope Fellowship with the Center for Native American Youth, in partnership with Casey Family Programs, the New Mexico Child Advocacy Network, and the ICWA Center in Minneapolis. As a former foster youth, Roxy is a passionate advocate for Indian Child Welfare and education policy reform. Her advocacy focuses on uplifting the needs and centering cultural connections of Indigenous youth and communities.

2023 Udall Group Photo. Roxy is in the front row, second from the right. Photo by Tom Spitz.